1.08.2023

Little city skylines

Ever work 3 twelve hour night shifts then sit in the back seat of chevy truck jam packed with wedding supplies for 9 hours? No?  Well I have.  Doesn't make for the best sleeping spot, but, well, I had to get from point A to B.  B being a little factory town called Wood River, where a not so small wedding was to take place.  The land was flat, and on that particular day the sky was gray.  Not too many clouds, except the ones man-made by the oil refinery.  I will say the light of the factory in the distance was a pretty sight.
Small towns have a certain beauty about them.  They don't amaze with colorful, blinking lights, and fancy buildings, pretty clothes or people.  But it's home, it's comfort.  Even though they aren't always safe, there is some safety in the fact that people aren't striving for something too extraordinary.  You can be just as you are.  You can greet people with a smile and a wave, and not just rush past.  The goals are different, sure.   Not any better, not any worse goals.  But small towns are for families, and extended families, and families in law.  Sure I don't live in that universe, but I can appreciate it, and even tolerate it for a week or so.  But the weirdos and "free thinkers" migrate to the cities and free think the same things.  Because of this, many of the free thinkers actually start to think like everyone else in the city, except a few that are called "small minded".  I'm not making this stuff up, well at least not to my knowledge.  And the weirdos find each other and become a crew of weirdos, which actually makes them normal in this place in time.  I guess in a way we all just want to be normal somehow, somewhere, in some situation.

Anyways back to the Chevy truck crammed with wedding supplies.  No actually that memory should stay out of this.  So once I was out of that 2 by 2 area I contorted in for 9 hours, I hopped onto a sidewalk, stared at an old house with pumpkins on the porch.  The Lankford's house was full of antiques, animals, animals hairs, and well, wonderful people.  You got my best friend Kori (the bride of this story), her sister Jenny, Mama Lanky, and Mike.  And the one that wasn't there that day, the baby boy of the family, Jesse.  Funny though, I did talk to him about ten minutes after we arrived.  I picked up the house phone, which is another charm of a small town, and handed it to Mike.  Of course it was Jesse and he smiled and said "no you answer it".  I hadn't heard Jesse's voice in over two years.  My stomach dropped, I'm not proud of that, but it dropped.  Now don't get me wrong, I love Kori, and I wanted this wedding to be amazing.  But this wedding planning had been going on for over a year, and well the excitement for the wedding had reached a plateau; now the work that needed to be accomplished was now on the front burner.  And well, work is work.  But on the weeks leading up to this point, my excitement was drawn from the fact I would get to see this boy Jesse.  So maybe you understand the stomach drop now, maybe not.  You maybe haven't met Jesse.  His stupid little voice, it's not real manly or anything.  It's kind of boyish actually.  I really like it.  This silly little phone conversation didn't last long.  Thankfully, as I couldn't handle the embarrassment of everyone staring at me as I spoke.  I cracked some stupid jokes like, "I think you have the wrong number, maybe check the area code."  I can tell he is off his guard, maybe a nervous laugh was the indicator, but either way I had his attention.  He is likely struggling for something to say to me.  I mean I haven't seen him in two years.  I don't want to portray this situation in the wrong light.  Jesse and I never dated, or grew up together, or even talked on the phone.  We had a night together, just the two of us.  This evening consisted of cheap beer, college clubs, and courtyard benches.  And this night went really well, we kissed, and I melted in his hands.  We wrote back in forth over internet messages for a few months after that.  I lived on the Outer Banks of NC, and he lived in Chicago at that time.  Which honestly didn't mean much to me.  I really would have tried to be with him, long distance of course, I mean I was still in school at that point.  I don't know if that makes me impractical or what.  But I'm sure that he didn't see it that way.  I'm 24 years old, and I still don't understand men, what they really feel deep down.  What do they really want?  I mean I really have no idea if he normally kisses strangers like me; I know I don't.  I know to me he was really special.  I remember living in the Outer Banks and questioning if maybe something would happen with him.  I was innocent enough to hope, but jaded enough to doubt it.  Two years later I am still holding that hope.  I guess I didn't realize I was still holding it, until it came time to see him.  I mean I thought of him time to time, and he was alway a candidate for a long term relationship, but hearing his voice I felt it rushing back to the forefronts of my mind.  This silliest part is I could be writing about so many other things right now, but this 30 second conversation has my mind deep in thought.  During the conversation, he tells me he will be in town Friday morning, one day before the wedding.  I'm actually kind of sad, I really wanted to see him longer.  I quickly hate myself for having unwarranted expectations of a teenage girl.  And here I am still dwelling way too much on this one point.

So, that night I was sleep deprived and feeling drunk from the lack of sleep.  I encouraged Kori to drink in order to join my drunkard state, and because she was extremely stressed.  Everything seemed to be going wrong with the wedding.  Her makeup artist bailing out, the priest being stuck in a flooded town, a bridesmaid with postpartum depression, a messed up wedding program.  She could feel all the weight of everything on her.  Every detail of this wedding day was on her mind, and everyone needed to talk to her for advice, questions, concerns, or (God forbid) problems.  I sat and tried to maintain a balance of support and just staying out of the way.  If ever I felt my presence was unwelcome or unnecessary I kindly exit the room in search for an animal.  It was on these excursions that I fell in love with an old Persian cat called "Liv-Liv".  I was very happy to have her company in awkward situations where I was definitely out of place.  There were also dogs, a chubby one named Lucy, a bouncy one called Lola, and a big lazy one with wiry hair named Oliver.  It was like being in a pet store.  There was even a bird named Raven.  I kept my mind busy with little things, like assigning each animal to a character of Winnie the Pooh.  Oliver was Eeyore, Raven was piglet, Lola was tigger, Lucy was Pooh, and Liv was rabbit.  I realize how childish my brain may seem.  But there is just so much time in life to think.  I prefer to live in a child's book if I have to be somewhere in my mind.  Whenever I was needed, usually for crafts, I did my best to take special care to not mess up any important details.  The first night was part of craft time.  Kori, Mama Lanky, Jenny were all organizing candles and silver platters, and me writing names on tags for the wedding party.  The saddest part of that night was I didn't listen to music while writing the names.  I've realized that people don't want music to be played at every moment in life.  This fact blows my mind entirely.  I want to listen to music constantly, and if I have to have a conversation I just turn the music down.  I realize that this part of me can be selfish and annoying, so I continued to write in silence.  It must have been about 11 pm when we finally left Mike and Mama Lanky's house.  Next stop was Rick and Shirley's house, I was so tired I cannot remember much about this encounter.  I do remember dodging Kori's wedding dress, there was no way I was touching that thing.  She carried it inside and I held doors.  If you mess up a bride's wedding dress, I think the friendship is terminated.  Finally I arrived at a place I could sleep.  It was a bright green room with two cribs and a twin bed.  It was perfect.  I hadn't laid my body down in over 32 hours.  There wasn't pillow so I slept on my Front Bottoms sweatshirt and didn't budge until Kori came in the next morning.

Waking up exhausted is a feeling I know all so well.  Being awake for over 24 hours is a once a week thing for me.  And 7 hours is not enough sleep to combat this, at least for me.  But the wedding plans wait for no one.  To Kori's surprise I am awake staring at the ceiling.  Kori is already ready, and looks that she has been awake for about 2 hours at this point.  I fight the urge to roll over and avoid life.  Kori of course looks like a model, dressed and ready to sign a marriage license.  I contemplate for 5 seconds trying to dress nice.  Then I realize I don't care and wear yoga pants and my "not before coffee" shirt.  My hair is mess so I wet it and quickly put makeup on.  Kori's uncle, Rick, has made us breakfast and some decent coffee.  I eat some eggs and toasted white bread.  I am craving delicious, strong coffee, with real creamer.  We meet up with Evan and head to the court house.  It's a dreary day, and the court house is so mundane.  It matches the sky.  We are checked for weapons and asked to empty our pockets.  Luckily I have none in my yoga pants, whew.  I am supposedly there to be a witness, but I am actually not needed for that at all.  I sit and watch multiple couples trail in, asking to get a marriage license.  I realize that even though marriage is such a big deal, so many people are still trying.  I start to think getting married is not impressive at all, literally anyone can do it.  I basically just wait and then take a picture of them with the license.  Thank God, one task done.  I am happy to leave this room with it's fake flowers and white picket arbor.  Kori hasn't shown any nerves about actually being married.  She'd known for so long that she wanted to marry Evan.  She displayed no doubts whatsoever.  I doubt this will ever be the case for me.  I am way too indecisive.  I probably have to see a counselor during the entire engagement period.  I see many melt downs and anxiety during that whole period of time.  I wonder if Evan is anything like me, if he is scared, if he is he doesn't show it at all.  I've never been in love, like romantic stuff.  It's actually hard to decipher what I think about marriage.  I get the concept of it.  But it's very big, maybe even sacred.  It's because of this that messing up in a marriage has higher consequences.  I've never cheated, I don't think I ever will.  That doesn't mean that I shouldn't be scared to enter something that requires so much commitment.  Then there is the living together part.  I'm not sure I want anyone to know me that well.  I am weird and insecure, and sad, and crazy, and a whole bunch of collaborative anomalies.  Sometimes I change, sometimes I can't accept change.  I can't imagine being attractive to someone if they know all the shit inside of me.  Not in a cliche "no one understands me" kind of way, but I have a few people that know most of me, and they don't live with me.  Could they stand too?

We drive out of the downtown area, and we are off to get Kori's nails done.  During that period I run through a list of things that need to be contemplated.  Like "Kori do you have the accessories you need: fake eyelashes, flats to dance in, lipstick, hairspray?"  She has most of it under control.  She didn't have flats.  Good, now me and Evan have a purpose other than get his pants tailored which will take ten minutes.  Before we begin our tasks we get something to eat at a grocery store I've never been to.  I pick up some stuff I might need for the big day which includes cotton pads, witch hazel, lotion.  Of course we are on a time schedule; this whole week is a time schedule.  This is very unlike my normal life.  Anyways Kori says we are good on time and we deliver her 20 minutes early to her nail appointment.  Now it's just me and Evan.  He's like an older brother I never had.  He thanks me for being here for Kori, how I am a good friend.  I awkwardly try to ignore the compliment, because I have no idea how to take them.  I ask him if we can please go get coffee now.  We put Starbucks in the GPS.  Finally, I get to have some strong coffee!  I get a venti cafe au lait with whole milk, two sugars.  Love at first sip.  Now I can handle driving without music; you understand how this hurts me from my earlier rant.  First stop, the mall.  How do I feel about the mall?  It can be a torture chamber, addictive, therapy, and a means to end.  We end up in Macy's looking for shoes.  I decide to get new shoes for the wedding, along with flats for the wedding, and some pretty flats for Kori to wear at the reception.  Luckily Kori and I have the same shoe size, along with lots of other qualities.  I try on around ten pairs of shoes for the wedding ceremony, which should be nude, not too high, and not to flashy.  I meet a pretty girl who is also trying on lots of shoes like me.  She hears me talking to Evan about the style of the shoes which should go with the theme of the wedding and look good with the dress, yada-yada.  All of this Evan doesn't actually care about, but for some reason I care deeply about.  She helps me decide on a closed toed pump.  I start to wonder about her life as I try on the shoes.  Seems like she is here a lot, she is stylish, and she is knowledgeable about styles and fashion.  She also tells me I look like a model, I avoid the complement.  What's her job, why is she here in the middle of the day on Wednesday?  I could be much more fashionable if I took the time.  I am interested in it, but I can't make myself spend the time or money to make it a hobby or a skill.  That's why I sit there in yoga pants and an oversized t-shirt that has a "but first coffee" text on it.  Next task, flats.  I find some comfortable gray flats quickly.  The harder task is some shoes for Kori.  We decide on a simple gold sparkly flat.  Off for more tasks.  We end up at a tailor shop run by some friendly people of asian descent.  They say they can get the pants tailored by tomorrow.  Yay, our tasks are done.  We still have an hour to spare.  Why not get my nails done?  I hate this idea, but it is necessary for my nails to not look horrible.  I decide on purple paint, and then regret it when I have to sit still while they dry.  Torture ends, and we pick up Kori.  This night is concluded similar to the night before.  We pour our efforts into wedding tasks except I wear my new heels around for fun mostly, and to break them in.  This day comes to end with all tasks completed.  Kori and I head over to her aunt and uncle's house, and I curl up on the twin bed in the bright green room.  I sleep with a pillow and it feels so good.

Prep day two begins early again, this time we get coffee first which makes life a little easier.  This time we drive to the city of St. Louis.  It's the day for trials.  Trial for hair is first.  This takes place in a girl's home that is being renovated.  The house is probably over 100 years old.  Luckily I can play with the cats there too.  There's a little black kitten, and an older, super moody, cat.  They keep me entertained as I watch Kori's hair get curled, pinned, and hair sprayed.  The house is beautiful, but only the third floor is finished.  I'm not sure I could live that way, having to walk up the completely unfinished parts to get to beautiful parts.  Everyday seeing how much work is left to do.  We walk past the unfinished parts as we leave.  I hate that it bothers me, I suppose it highlights my perfectionism.  We drive back to Wood River and pick up some hair extensions for Kori to fill her hair out more for the big day.  I buy a brush in order for me to make my curly hair straight for a day.  We finally have some down time, and I desperately need alone time and to work out.  I decide to go to a gym and do some yoga and maybe some cardio.  The most unbelievable thing happened.  While doing yoga in the studio, the manager told me to put my shoes on.  Yoga with shoes on?  Seriously.  I did get a good workout in, but not as good as if I could do actual yoga.  After alone time/gym time, we trial the makeup.  The trial takes place in a tiny apartment.  The make-up artist has a desk that is completely covered with makeup.  We all causally talk about the best products, our jobs, and other basic topics.  During the conversation, turns out she knows Jesse.  Great now he's in my mind again.  I guess they went to school together.  She talks about how nice he is, blah, blah.  I try not to say anything to avoid being transparent.  The past two days I have been trying to avoid thinking about him.  With the realization that my hopes for the situation are not valid and probably a bit childish.  I do not contribute to the conversation at all.  It's getting late and the temperature has dropped dramatically.  I start feeling a cold coming on.  I try to convince myself I am not sick.  But I feel my head aching and my nose running.  Great, the rehearsal is tomorrow, what bad timing.  Kori takes me to a little coffee shop on the way home from the makeup trial.  I have to admit that I need to go home and rest, that I am probably getting sick.  We get our coffees and head out.  I stay at her aunt and uncle's house while she goes to work on wedding preparations.  I am sneezing constantly, and I am freezing.  I figure I have some sinus infection, which is causing a fever.  I take tylenol, sudafed, and a decongestant.  Luckily, I am nurse and can self medicate pretty well.  I am disappointed and a little anxious.  I knew it was a possibility I would get sick: the long hours on the first day I arrived, new environment with new allergens, my stupid allergies, and hardly any alone time allotted.  But still I am sad I will be feeling bad for the rest of the wedding preparation and the actual wedding.  I close my eyes anyways and get the sleep I desperately needed.

I wake up with a head full a bunch of stuff, thoughts and snot.  I start the drugging process before Kori comes to wake me up.  I am also drinking a ton of water, the medications I am taking will make me very dry.  I throw on some comfortable clothes and get ready for setting up the church.  First, we get coffee and bagels.  I thank Jesus.  Second, we start decorating an already insanely gorgeous Catholic church.  I am in awe of this place as I stare at the stained glass, beautiful floors, and wood carved pews.  It makes me rethink my opinions about the catholic church, well sort of... Not really, but it is really pretty.  It's so cold, I shiver and feel the fever.  I work through it and don't say a word.  It's nice being with this group.  It's momma Lanky, Jenny, and Kori.  I feel like a part of the family.  Momma Lanky even has to lecture me about appropriate language in the church.  I am definitely her child at this point.  It makes me happy, plus I get to drink coffee, even better.  This church is fairytale on the inside.  Since I am a fiction junkie, I imagine all the scenes in books that take place in a church like this.  I could sit for hours and imagine them all in here.  And although I am sick, I feel hyped up on the sudafed.  I could run around like a mad woman if we didn't have so much to get done today.  At the back of the sanctuary there's a Jesus statue that's really strange.  I stand in front of it for a few minutes.  I try to keep the thoughts to myself, like "why does Jesus have a horn?", or "what the hell is this?" These all can wait of course.  We have the rehearsal hall to decorate next.  No time for my silly comments, or day-dreaming, or running around.  We pack up supplies and load up in the car.  I start to feel sick again, the cold church has made my body work harder to feel okay.  I close my eyes and tell myself I am okay.  It's about then that I start to feel it all...  I am tired, I want to be alone, I want to be okay.  I am nervous and excited to see Jesse.  I haven't asked about him, and this week isn't about me; I've heard conversations about him, just briefly.  I think he is bringing a date, but I can't ask. I tell myself,  "don't be too obvious now, play it cool."  My blood is propelling through my veins too fast, I am shaky and tired, I feel achy, my fever is cycling around causing problems.  "Power through" I keep telling myself.  I want to talk to someone, but Kori has too much on her plate.  I don't know anyone else well enough to disclose all of this shit.  Oh damn it, we are at the reception hall.  It's go time.  I stay task oriented.  We carry all the supplies in, and Kori runs the show.  I happily take commands.  It takes a few hours and we still aren't done.  I am freaking out.  I am not holding in all the problems.  The anxiety is rolling up out of my eyes in the form of water.  I have to get out of here, there's no windows in this big beautiful room.   I need to outside and alone.  I feel so stupid for having a melt down, and this isn't even my wedding.  I hate that part of this reaction is related to Jesse possibly having a date.  I definitely have to get out of this room.  I escape to the bathroom and cry in the stall.  I feel like I am in high school again.  I feel the world crashing on me, and feel disgusted by how dramatic I am.  I need my sister again, just like in high school.  Just like when I was sad about a boy I couldn't have, or nervous to talk to a boy.  I go outside to catch my breath and blow my nose a hundred times.  The sky is so gray, the kind that blinds my sick eyes.  If I don't talk to my sister Lindsey I am not going to make it.  I get her on the phone, her voice is so comforting.  Thank God for her.  I can say anything, nothing is too immature or stupid.  I tell her everything, all the insecurities I have about my body and my dress, and how perfect and skinny Kori is, and how I am sick and tired, and how I feel about Jesse.  She listens, and agrees with me on everything.  I feel like all the problems in the net of my brain all swim back into the ocean.  I take some more cold medicine, and drink another bottle of water.   I start to feel normal again, at least mentally.  I've been on the phone with Lindsey almost an hour.  I have to go back in and do bridesmaid stuff.  I wrap up my conversation with my sister and best friend.  I ask for a prayer, and I blow my nose one more time just for good measure.  When I get back in no one asks about my lengthy absence from decorating.  We finish up more fine details and it's getting late.   We now have an hour till the reception dinner.  This day is going non-stop.  We rush to the hotel, check-in, and drag all the luggage in.  My inner preteen wants to look pretty, and not like I am running a fever and/or have recently cried.  And of course Jesse is going to be at the rehearsal dinner.  I utilize makeup and choose a black flowy dress with a pink belt, and I wear the new shoes I bought with Evan.  It's all a sprint to get ready, but I probably take too long staring at myself.  I feel inadequate, not skinny enough, my eyes too puffy, my hair frizzy, and many other flaws.  I am frustrated with my thoughts.  I get rushed out of the room by the group.  We make our way down the hall of the hotel.

Then there it is.  The stupid moment I see Jesse and his girlfriend.  My stomach feels like a pit.  She's petite, pale, artsy, with gray blue hair.  Isn't she just so damn trendy.  I am so different looking, whole different size, and color, and style.  I just want to avoid the whole thing.  But I can't help staring at them together.  I take the bait, all the problems start swimming back into my net of a brain.  Dammit, trapped again.  What does my face look like to everyone else?  Jesse introduces her to his parents and sisters.  Their happiness annoys me.  They talk about his haircut, she says she loves it.  I want to vomit at her comment.  How am I supposed to interact with him?  I fake a smile.  Fuck this, I walk ahead and take the elevator with another bridesmaid.  We have to wait for a few more people to get ready.  I sit downstairs in the hotel lobby.  My mind spinning almost dizzy from the congestion in my head and all the thoughts.  I am jealous, sad, angry, and stupid.  My silly high school girl is back.  I go to bathroom to blow my nose, I stare at her.  I thought I was woman, but not really, how I have regressed.  I touch my hair enough to change nothing.  Why do I do this to myself?  The goddamn mirror, and this goddamn high school girl.  He's in the lobby now,  in his slacks and dress shirt.  She's there in her skinny jeans that she wears so well.  She isn't going to the rehearsal, instead hanging out with some of his family at the hotel bar.   I hate that I have to listen to her plans.  I purposefully ride in a different car from him.  I am have absolutely no idea how to act around him.  All this is my fault, of course not his or hers; it's all mine.  But taking ownership is far above me at this point.  I have to keep moving forward to avoid the downward spiral that is calling me.
I keep my head up, and put on my poker face.  Now as you know it is important to rehearse the wedding.  So in wedding lingo, there is the rehearsal wedding, this happens before the rehearsal dinner.  My how my vocabulary has grown since I hit 22, and everyone started getting married.  The rehearsal wedding is a gathering of the wedding party, with a leader or wedding planner.  He or she leads the party in an organized chaos, that ends up as a group of people doing un-extraordinary things, like walking, and standing, and such.  Anyways, it is a vital part of the wedding prep, but the things that are asked of me are so incredibly simple that I cannot pay attention.  I know this from experience in prior weddings.  If my mind is not occupied with something it will get distracted and be unable to carry out the easiest task at hand.  So I decide to solely rely on my pretty partner, Ryan (the most handsome groomsman).  I also learned that I should walk after the couple in front of me.  The pace we should set is not concrete.  But I strategically wore the same shoes that I am wearing for the wedding.  I do this because I am brilliant.  That is not true, but the idea of wearing the same shoes to rehearsal is quite smart.  I guess I should also mention the love interest.  So Jesse was also at this rehearsal.  My regressing mind treats him as my middle school self would, by ignoring him.  You ignore the boy you like, it make sense in some stupid way.  It definitely makes sense when he has a girlfriend.  It also makes sense when you get your hopes up about a guy that of course has a girlfriend, as he is a total catch.  I am constantly aware of myself when he is near.  Aware of my posture, my makeup, my ass.  Me as a whole is vulnerable in his presence.  Him and his goddamn "new" haircut.  Our time rehearsing in the beautiful church is coming to an end.  Time to load into cars again and have ourselves a rehearsal dinner (see how I use the new vocabulary).
The sun is starting to set, and it's beautiful out.  Contrasting my thoughts about myself, the sky is gorgeous with dark blue hues on the clouds.  Finally the heat has subsided, but I still feel a bit feverish from the cold.  As we park on the side of the street beside the restaurant, I prepare myself to stop being the most self-centered person on earth.  The restaurant is a nice Italian place.  We make our way to the back, we are all way over dressed for the front of the restaurant.  The back is a room with a small bar and about six tables.  I keep close to the other bridesmaids.  Sara, the fun and wild blonde bridesmaid, suggests a drink.  We both get a dry red.  I know I should probably eat first, but I think I could use a buzz.  We sit in the first row facing the projector.  Luckily I have the bridesmaids and Kori to keep me distracted.  I sip the wine and we joke about the times we shared on Kori's bachelorette weekend.  I feel the alcohol counteract my anxiety and unjustified anger.  I have another glass with dinner.  I don't eat much, which isn't like me, but with the lack of sleep and cold medicine it's understandable.  I genuinely smile at the speeches and slideshow about Kori and Evan.  I finish a few more glasses.  Me and Sara talk and laugh like best friends in middle school as the evening comes to an end.  We giggle and chat in a silly teeny-booper language that is very annoying if you aren't directly involved.  We say goodnight and innocently kiss on the lips.  Kori's almost mother in-law sees us and is shocked, her face is all scrunched up with disapproval.  That was probably bad.  I'll apologize to Kori later.  I sneak glances at Jesse.  His legs crossed and he smiles and talks to relatives and soon to be relative-in-laws.  Everyone is so interested in his life in the big city of New York.  I roll my eyes inside, and also kick myself for not talking to him.  I look silly and weak.  Why don't I just suck it up and talk to him?  I can't think of a damn thing to say.  I'm the worst at the small talk, and I cringe at the thought of me saying something ridiculous.  Something's aren't meant to be I guess.  I walk out with a slight buzz.  But mostly I am exhausted, and tired of being constantly aware of myself.  We load into a few cars to head back to the hotel.  I take off the heels and rub the soles of my feet.  I desperately need to be alone.  My introvert soul is exhausted.  I need my own music with my own thoughts.  Some of the party goes to the hotel bar, I go straight to the hotel room.  I was instructed to "blow my hair out".  It sound much easier than it is.  I bought a special brush for this, but my hair is very long and thick.  I decide to take a bath and try to rinse off some of my day and illness.  Water is calming.  The water is warm and inviting unlike how I feel right now.  I fill the bath almost to the brim.  I play a soothing playlist of only songs I personally love.  I dunk my head under and smear my layers of makeup off.  I work the knots out of my unruly hair.  Finally I feel clean and my hair is coated with conditioner.  Now time to blow dry the hair.  I start the process and realize my arms are not long enough in comparison to the length of my hair.  I am getting a workout and I am sweating profusely from the heat of the blow drier.  An hour later my hair is puffy and mostly straight.  Another bridesmaid comes in and asks "did you burn something?"  I probably burned my hair, I didn't notice because of the stopped-up, snot nose on my face.  I look for the brush and really look closely in the bright light of the bathroom. Yep, the brush is burned.  I laugh and search my head for damage.  Luckily the brush has most of the damage.  We keep the door propped open to hall to air out the room.  I apologize for the smell, and listen to music with my headphones in.  I need something to wash out my thoughts. Music for the mind and water for the body.  Sleep comes slow, but it comes.
I wake up feeling a strong urge to blow my nose.  I feel less than glamourous.  Me and Kristen, the Maid of Honor and my current roommate, take turns complaining about how early it is.  But we both get up and start rushing around to get ready.  I have to do Evan's nieces makeup, and my own.  I also have to make time for my hair to get done.  This sounds easier than it is.  The getting ready process take hours.  Sara brings the coffee, and she becomes my favorite person.  We all take turns making each other prettier.  I enjoy makeup.  It's art that you wear.  I love to make someone feel beautiful and confident in their skin.  I do my own makeup and it's fun.  I spent hours looking at makeup to try out;.  I even did a trial at home.  The theme was 1920's-1930's, The Great Gatsby era.  Our heavily beaded dresses and nude heels could fit right in at one of Jay's ragers.  At first we are relaxed and having fun getting ready.  But then the climate changes, and it's almost time to go.  I still have to get my hair done, and did I mention I burned my hair last night! Then we are rushing, we are hungry, and we are stressed.  It's suddenly hot everywhere, all things are annoying, and what the hell am I supposed to bring to the wedding?  I need flats, and extra hairpins, makeup (in case of crying, and sweating), and my phone, and flats.  My memory of this chaos is likely much more dramatic than it actually was.  Now picture ten or so girls in one room all obsessing about their appearance, while simultaneously complimenting every other girl in the room.   Its tasking, let me tell you.  As we all juggle the tasks of being a human being, a female, and a bridesmaid, Kori has the ultimate struggle.  This day is all about her, literally all eyes on her.  She is so beautiful, like a life size Barbie has come to life.  I try not to stare too long at her, but it's a challenge.  I tuck away my envy for another day, and smile at this lovely lady in front of me.  I just want her day to be perfect, and so it shall.  Now, back to the rushing, rushing, rushing, scrambling, juggling, complimenting, smiling, and speed walking to the car.  Now let's get to the chapel for a wedding!
Let us all remember the "thou shall not touch the dress" rule, and also the "thou shall stay out of the way unless needed" rule.  These are important things you know.  I try my best to do this, and also inwardly stress about where on earth I will put my bag!  I am also unsure if I will cry, and I realize that in my emotional state that is is likely that tears will be shed.  I have enough fluids filling my sinuses, but why not add a little more to the mix?  Really all I have to do is look pretty and walk down the aisle, laugh at the correct times, try not to sneeze or cough, and smile.  But I am actually nervous! Imagine how Kori feels, or Evan.  I think I need a drink.  The most attractive groomsman is about to walk me down the aisle.  Of course he is married with a baby, and one in the oven, but hey we look good.  And a man that is taller than me in heels will always make me smile.  He compliments me, I blush and give him a compliment back.  We are lined up in the hallway.  Our anticipation is lingering in a old church, I think about being in lines in elementary school.  My silly mind again is wandering.  Of course as a second grader I would not touch a boy!  We all wait for the wedding planner to tell us what to do.  I actually have no idea what I am doing at this point in time.  Luckily, I have pretty partner to lead me, so I just tap my pretty heels nervously to a nonexistent beat.  I rub my Kat Von D lipstick around for comfort, and it's go time.  We walk up a short staircase, that intimidates me and my three inch heels.  I start overthinking the face I should be making.  Seriously, what face am I supposed to make.  Should I fake a smile, or do an embarrassed face that also involves a smile;  I have lots of expressions.  I should have mentally prepared for the face I would make in this fairy tale church!  Oh dear, I have no idea what face I presented to the church, but I am now very unhappy about the length of the aisle.  All good and terrible things end; I part ways with my pretty partner to stand in front of a chair.  Then the moment comes, when Kori walks down the aisle with her Dad.  I feel like crying, but I am realize I am too happy for that.  She looks like a dream, and Evan incredibly happy.  This is the couple that accepts me as their little sister.  Evan is protective of me, we can talk about weird stuff like siblings.  Then Kori, I mean where do I even start?  She's so much like me.  We share so many qualities, traits, and skills.  But yet I look up to her, and I love her like the big sister I got to choose.  This marriage was a long time coming.  They made it work long distance for a while.  Until Kori swallowed her pride and took a huge chance and moved to NC to live with Evan.  She went to ECU, where she met me.  When we were lonely, we shared my twin bed.  The year after that we moved in together, shared tears, heartbreak, and family meals.  Now here I am, proud to share this moment with her and her loved ones.  I am warm down to my unmanicured toes.   At this moment I forget my selfish shit, and make way for the married couple.
Kori Paynic, Kori Paynic, Kori Paynic,  I repeat this phrase to get accustomed to the change in my contact book.  I don't pay much attention to the things being said on the stage.  Kori and Evan kneel and I suppose this is normal in a Catholic wedding.  No one was Catholic where I grew up.  If they were, they told people they were Catholic, but also said they didn't go to church.  There wasn't a Catholic church in my town, if there was I never heard of it.  Everything is lovely in this fairy tale church, and I am sure the priest singing was lovely to some people.  I was definitely caught off guard by this.  Maybe I should have paid closer attention during the whole rehearsal thing.  His singing is, well, acapella, and damn boy that is a bold move.  I do not laugh, but mask it with a smile that is way too enthusiastic.  There are candles and wine involved and well I love those things.  I especially loved staring at Kori and her insanely gorgeous dress.  I spend most of my time staring at her, she really is a sight.  I play with the flowers in my lap to keep me from doing anything un-lady like.  I take glances at the other bridesmaids to make sure I am doing everything correctly.  The ceremony seems short, they always do.  So much planning and work for only thirty minutes!  Now the modelesque couple walks down the aisle joined by the hand.  We greet them outside of the church with paper machete to toss.  I am ready to cheer for the couple as they walk out of the church together.  I stand with my bridesmaid in crime, Sara.  We laugh and celebrate the day together.  Our hair perfectly curled and shadowed eyes, and dark lips match, but we have our differences.  She is smaller than me by a quite a few inches, bleached blonde hair, pale skin, and an understanding of how to have fun.  She is far superior to me on the ins and outs of weddings.  She grabs my hand with a bit of rage, as we are all hungry.  She asks, "Where's the trolley".  She has an excitement in her eyes that I mimic back, and I start to find myself eager for the celebration to come.
Now trolley is not a part of my wedding vocabulary.  It is not every wedding you get to ride on a fancy trolley, that is modeled from a decade where people rode in 'trolleys'.  I do not know exactly what decade that is, but I can tell you the seats are made of wood and the outside hues of red and green.  I feel quite fancy in my clothes as it is, now I step onto a lovely trolley.  There is also food aboard this thing too, all the more reason to hurry on.  I find my wedding supplies bag from inside the back room of the church.  I pause for a minute to go over a few facts.  I know Jesse is going to be on this trolley, without this girlfriend of his.  I know I need a drink terribly bad, and since you are reading the inner workings of my mind you probably agree with that statement.  There is also the fact that I am witnessing a marriage, and I would very much like to celebrate.  I must add that I have not eaten, and I am hungry.  This "not eaten thing" could present as a fact and a problem.  Alcohol without food, or enough food at that, could result in a very annoying and silly girl.  When we get to the trolley most of the groomsmen are seated in the back with the cooler and the platter of subs.  My eyes skim over available seats.  Sara pulls me in a seat that happens to be in the middle of bus.   Whew, someone hands me a beer, I take what I can get.  Kori and Evan are still in the church getting pictures taken.  Someone opens the sub platter, I scarf this down and hope it's enough for my ensuing alcohol consumption.  Me and Sara are back at our teeny bopper lingo that we are so fond of.  We laugh and sip on our beer. There is talk among the wedding party that there is quite a limited selection of alcohol.  The conspiracy of it becomes known.  Kori and Evan do not want the wedding party too rowdy before the actual wedding.  Part of the itinerary includes three hours between the wedding and the reception.  That leaves a lot of time for the wedding party to, well, get drunk.  So a plan is being made that it's probably best if we stop at market as to not run out of alcohol.  We all agree that we are not at risk for getting drunk with fingers crossed behind our backs.
Some time passes and a charming, elegant man waltzes on the bus.  He runs his hand through his hair as he walks and sits opposite of me and Sara.  The very man that I am babbling on about in so many words.  I know you may think, what did this girl expect?  She knew he would be on this fancy bus, why is she making this a deal.  Okay, I just didn't expect to sit basically right next to him!  I mean you remember my strategy of ignoring him right?  This could prove difficult with him sitting right next to me.  And it is understood, between both of us, that we are acquaintances, which he may not be able to say for the other people on the fancy bus.  So that leaves me awkwardly smiling in search for a beverage to correct my anxious stomach of butterflies,  I try to continue with the 'ignore the handsome man sitting across from me' strategy.  Kori and Evan's entrance interrupts my awkwardness.  Now we are cheers-ing and celebrating the knot they've tied between them.  I feel like I am in a perfect wedding magazine.  The whole day has been picture perfect. The afternoon light shining through the windows of the trolley on Koris silky wedding dress.  Everyone is all smiles as they pop a bottle of champagne, and we pass around little cups filled with bubbles.



No comments:

Post a Comment